|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The White House, Lenwade|
An late 17th or early 18th century house, which was extended in the late 18th or early 19th century to form a double pile house. The house has a coped brick boundary wall, ending in piers with stone ball finials.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1008 1822|
|Parish:||GREAT WITCHINGHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
1982. Field Observation.
Located at the east end of Lenwade Street, near the mill, the east façade of this house is two-storeys with five bays and a pantile roof. It has a central pedimented doorway and while the rusticared brick quoins are painted over, the red brick gable walls remain unpainted. The house was constructed in the late 17th century and was extended on the west in the 18th or 19th century so as to form a double-ridged house.
E. Rose (NAU) 6 October 1982.
NGR corrected from original (TG 1009 1821).
M. Horlock (NLA), 24 March 2003.
(S1) dates the north wing of the house to the early 18th century and the south wing to the late 18th or early 19th century. Also included in the listing is a brick boundary wall which is curved on the west side and ends in piers with stone ball finials.
S. Spooner (NLA) 12 January 2006
- BOUNDARY WALL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1675 AD to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1675 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...