|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Gothic House, Lenwade|
An 18th century Gothic cottage, with arched windows and Y-tracery, as well as many original internal fittings.
|Grid Reference:||TG 1009 1825|
|Parish:||GREAT WITCHINGHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
1982. Field Observation.
This is a 3 bay, 2-storey house of flint construction with Gothic windows and central door in the northeast façade.
It is notable especially because it retains all its original window catches, door latches, hinges, etc. However, the oak ceiling beams have all been replaced. The house dates to about 1740, and a brick extension was constructed to the rear in the 19th century. The house stands at the entrance to the former village street.
E. Rose (NAU) 6 October 1982.
2007. Documentary Evidence.
This house is listed as early 19th century (S1), although a press cutting (S2) agrees with the construction date provided above. The press cutting (S2) also claims that this was the first house built in the village.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 10 December 2007.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1740 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: 1994. Eastern Daily Press. 17 June. |
Related records - none
Find out more...