|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Roman settlement and multi-period finds|
This is the site of a Roman settlement, and Roman pottery and flue tile has been found during fieldwalking. Medieval and post medieval pottery has also been found.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 378 956|
|Parish:||HALES, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1981 to 1982. Fieldwalking by Hales Survey (site 48).
Roman sherds and tile.
Medieval to post medieval sherds and finds.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NAU) May 1982.
(S1) records this as Site 48.
Evidence of a Roman settlement on this site dates mainly from the 4th century, with some 2nd and 3rd century material.
See (S1) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 25 January 2006
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- VESSEL (Undated)
- FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Hales Survey. 48. Hales. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Hales Survey. Hales Survey fieldwalking notes. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Davison, A.. 1990. The Evolution of Settlement in Three Parishes in South-East Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 49. |
Related records - none
Find out more...