|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Multi-period metal finds, undated trackways and possible Bronze Age ring ditch|
Aerial photography shows the cropmarks on a number of ditched trackways and two possibly Bronze Age ring ditches. Metal detecting in 1995 recovered a range of objects, including Roman, medieval and post medieval coins, a Roman brooch and a Late Saxon harness mount.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 07 39|
|Parish:||HOLT, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
8 July 1981.
NAU air photography. Positive cropmarks. Linear ditches as cropmarks.
Parallel, flanking possible interesecting trackways.
D. Edwards (NAU), 19 April 1982.
Also ring ditch at 0759 3970.
D. Edwards (NAU), 13 July 1983.
Before October 1995. Metal detecting.
One Roman, three medieval, one post medieval coins.
One medieval jetton.
See lists in file. Idenified by J.Davies (NCM).
One medieval silver continental coin, Charles The Bold, 15th century. See form.
Roman dolphin brooch. Hinged. Pin, spring and catchplate missing.
Plain and simple example. Battered indentation. Mid 1st century AD.
Identified by D.Gurney (NLA).
Two fragments late medieval/early post medieval cast vessel/cauldron, with horizontal external ribbing.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA).
Some post medieval finds.
A.Rogerson (NLA) 10 November 1995.
August/September 1995. Metal detecting.
?Early Saxon mount or wrist-clasp fragment.
Lovely Late Saxon Ringerike-style ?harness mount, half-round section, in form of animal head in relief with lentoid eyes and lobed triangular snout and engraved 'spiral' tendrils on 'cheeks'. One rivet hole at each end.
Late Saxon box (or stirrup) mount, trefoil pierced lobe at apex, angled flange at base. Central worn relief animal head with circular opening on each side and probably flanked by two Ringerike-style animals in profile. Single rivet hole in flange and iron strip on reverse.
Medieval cast vessel everted rim sherd.
Identified by S.Margeson (NCM). Polaroids (S1) in file.
A.Rogerson (NLA), 11 November 1995.
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PERSONAL ORNAMENT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- SLEEVE CLASP (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BOX (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- HARNESS (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- STIRRUP (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CAULDRON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CAULDRON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- VESSEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG 0739A-D,E-G,K-M. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Photograph: I&RS. Finds Polaroid. Polaroid. |
Related records - none
Find out more...