|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Earthworks of medieval/post medieval hollow way and park pale|
A wide sunken feature with a bank along its northern side survives as earthworks. It is probably a medieval or post medieval hollow way and/or a feature designed to mark the edge of Merton Park (NHER 30516). Until the 20th century the Merton/Thompson parish boundary followed the line of the feature. This suggests that the bank may have been constructed as a parish boundary bank.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 9137 9750|
|Parish:||MERTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
|THOMPSON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Merton parish formerly Thompson.
April 1982. Visit.
Along line of former parish boundary altered this century. Hollow way/park boundary.
Wide sunken way about 2m deep, about 4m across, with large bank along north side. Marked as edge of park on estate plan of 1788 at hall, which shows present road to southeast as 'new road to Thetford'.
Note similarity of bank to Blickling Park boundary.
Probably continues further west under undergrowth, but not as far as Peddars Way (NHER 1289).
 believes it to be an ancient fortification, but evidence indicates a hollow way (old course of road now on southeast) later used as park boundary, perhaps including parish boundary bank.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 April 1982.
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARISH BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARK PALE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
|30516||Part of: Merton Park (Monument)|
Find out more...