Record Details

NHER Number:18025
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill and lime kiln


A new windmill was marked at this location on Faden’s map of 1797. The mill was last used in 1892, wrecked in a gale in 1895 and demolished during World War Two. In addition, a lime kiln was noted 'near Mill Farm' in the 1850s, meaning it might have stood in this approximate vicinity.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9395 3936
Map Sheet:TF93NW

Full description

New windmill marked on Fadens map 1797.
New as opposed, presumably, to the mill at NHER 1113 Context 1.
Informant notes that the foundations are still visible. Demolished during World War II.
Last used 1892. Wrecked in gale 24 March 1895.
Also shown on Bryant's map 1826.
A lime kiln was noted as 'near Mill Farm' in the 1850s - information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.
E. Rose (NAU) 24 March 1982.

Monument Types

  • LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service