|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Iron Age, Saxon and medieval pottery fragments, together with two pieces of Saxon loom weight and animal remains, were found during trench digging in the early 1980s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 9586 8599|
|Parish:||BRIDGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1980 or 1981. Found in digging service trenches for new house.
1 handmade body sherd with external burnishing, probably Iron Age.
Identified by A. Lawson (NAU).
1 base and 1 body sherd sandy Ipswich ware.
1 rim early medieval ware.
1 bodysherd Thetford, early medieval or medieval.
1 bodysherd late medieval glazed.
1 rim and 1 bodysherd post medieval brown glazed.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) April 1981.
Also, in last six inches above chalk, with animal bones.
Two fragments of annular loomweights of Middle Saxon type in uniformly fired pinkish/grey clay.
See (S1 and S2)
A. Rogerson (NAU) 22 May 1981.
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon to 19th Century - 651 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- LOOMWEIGHT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Unknown. 1981. Drawing of a Saxon loom weigh.. Film. 2:1. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Unknown. 1981. Drawing of a Saxon loom weight.. Film. 2:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...