|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Former Kings Arms Public House, now Crown House, The Hill|
A two storey brick, carstone and rubble former public house, now offices, early 16th century in origin, but altered and with 19th century additions and a rendered façade. A 17th century wall painting was reported to have been found behind an upstairs cupboard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7040 9993|
|Parish:||STOKE FERRY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Later known as the Crown, but not to be confused with NHER 8641. Now Crown House.
Dates from 1670.
Wallpainting discovered behind cupboard upstairs.
Stated to be in medieval style though 17th century in date.
Source for dating not given.
Information from (S1).
'Hole for cess pit; 60cm (2 feet) occupation then clean sand to 1.5m (5 feet)' (KLM map).
E. Rose (NAU), 23 October 1981.
Listing Grade II 1985 (S2) states early 16th century origin, with additions 19th century.
Brick, carrstone and slate, with pantiles at rear. Two storeys. Internal gable stacks.Two late 19th century crosswings at rear.
Two 16th century bridging beams in ground floor south room with double wave mouldings to each chamfer. Roof originally of tiebeams on arched braces, altered.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 August 1985.
- INN (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Coates, D.E.. 1980. Stoke Ferry. 26. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry Unknown. |
Related records - none
Find out more...