|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric pot boilers and multi-period pottery sherds|
Fieldwalking here during 1979-80 recovered prehistoric pot boilers, an iron fitting, a lava quern stone and quantities of Roman, Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery. Pottery types identified included post medieval Staffordshire slipware and Delft along with medieval Sieburg Stoneware.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1814 9151|
|Parish:||WACTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1979-80. Surface finds in fieldwalking. Context 2 at grid reference.
Possible Roman bodysherd.
Thetford type rim.
Few Late medieval sherds, lava quern fragment (medieval or post medieval).
Many lead-glazed and stoneware sherds.
Clay pipe fragments.
Staffordshire slipware, Delft, German stoneware.
Unglazed sherds (medieval or post medieval).
Identifications by W. Milligan (NCM) 20 October 1980.
25 September 1980. Further fieldwalking over whole field. Sherds divided into four bags with no explanation. May in fact include some of above, but numbered separately.
Twenty-five medieval unglazed.
One medieval glazed.
One medieval Sieburg Stoneware.
Forty-six late medieval/transitional.
One glazed post medieval whiteware.
One undated whiteware.
One glazed red earthenware.
One lava quern.
One iron fitting.
Six pot boilers.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- POT BOILER (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...