|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Limes and post medieval linen factory|
A late 18th century two storey brick house with a black glazed pantile roof. The surrounding buildings, a converted timber framed barn and a weaving shed, were once a 19th century linen factory but are now much altered.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0356 8283|
|Parish:||NORTH LOPHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Linen factory. 19th century buildings.
Large timber framed barn converted to workshop west of house, later adapted for turkey production.
Weaving shed south of house later altered to a set of seven one-up-one down cottages for retired weavers with Gothic windows and solid arched brackets.
In use until 1925, damaged 1940 by collision of two USAAF aircraft.
'The Limes' house was a later addition.
Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society survey in 1975; see fiche and (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 3 November 1980.
'The Limes' listed as late 18th century in 1984. (S2).
Building west of house inspected. Much altered since Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society survey in 1975. Gothic doorway removed from blocking of rear cart doors and moved to south elevation; weatherboarding above this position removed. Flimsy partitions inserted. (S1) only says that the Limes 'must be' a later addition; it has bricks with horizontal skintlings (post about 1770) but given that the barn is of clay lump and was later converted to weaving, it seems unlikely that the Limes is later.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 March 2003.
For the full history of the factory, and an associated window in the parish church (NHER 10873) see (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 7 July 2006.
December 2012. Planning Application.
Convert redundant outbuilding to annex accommodation to The Linen House with additional residential curtilage.
See (S4) for further details.
Z. Dack (HES), 6 February 2013.
- FACTORY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LINEN MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WEAVERS COTTAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Manning, M.. 1975. [unknown]. NIAS Journal. Vol 1, no 9. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S3>||Publication: Pursehouse, E.. no date. Waveney Valley Studies. pp 187-192. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application. |
Related records - none
Find out more...