|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval lime kiln|
The site of a lime kiln which had become disused by 1850. Most of the kiln has been destroyed, but a portion of it can still be seen built into a wall west of Limekiln House, which itself dates to about 1750.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1559 3779|
|Parish:||GRESHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Lime kiln. Mostly destroyed.
A section of the bell may be seen in a wall flanking a drive north of a shed, west of Limekiln House.
The kiln was disused by 1850. The house dates from 1750.
Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society records.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 October 1980.
Site is marked on Tithe map 1838 (S1), 1ins O.S. map 1836 (S2). It is also noted in White's Directory 1836/45 (S3) and in Kelly's 1853/65/75 (S4)
NIAS records (S5)
W. Arnold (HES) 13/12/2010
- LIME KILN (19th Century - 1836 AD? to 1875 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Map: 1839. Tithe map. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S3>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk.. |
|<S5>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...