Record Details

NHER Number:16665
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval brickworks

Summary

This is the site of a post medieval brickworks that belonged to William Bracey. Brickearth was taken from here to Bracey's other brickyard (NHER 14964). The footings of brick kilns survive on the site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4626 1808
Map Sheet:TG41NE
Parish:MARTHAM, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of brickworks.
Footings of kilns remain.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 30 October 1980.

(S2) states this pit belonged to William Bracey; carts would ferry brickearth from here to his yard by the river (site NHER 14964) and estuarine clay the other way.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 April 2000.

25in O.S. marks Brickworks and Kiln (S3)
NIAS records (S1)
W. Arnold (HES) 06/12/2010

Monument Types

  • BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.
<S2>Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1997. The Norfolk Broads: A Landscape History.. p 147.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).

Related records

14964Related to: Possible site of post medieval brickyard (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service