|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Bronze Age palstave, medieval box mount and post medieval cloth seal|
In 1959 a Bronze Age palstave was found at this location. Subsequent fieldwalking and metal detecting here 1982 recovered a prehistoric struck flint, an undated bronze sheet, post medieval cloth seal and a medieval copper alloy openwork mount – possibly from a box.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 08 01|
|Parish:||WICKLEWOOD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1959. Location . Found in hoeing sugar beet.
Palstave, 15th century BC, raised transverse ribs on sides. See for comparison Sogel axes of North Germany.
Identified by A. Lawson (NAU) June 1980.
S. Margeson (NCM) July 1980.
August 1982. Found with metal detector and fieldwalking.
Undated bronze sheet.
Medieval sherds including green glazed Grimston.
Copper alloy openwork cross-shaped mount with niello inlay (from box?). Lead seal (B inscribed on larger disc) - cloth seal?
Identified by W. Milligan (NCM) 12 October 1982.
W. Milligan (NCM) 12 October 1982.
To NAU March 1983.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- PALSTAVE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- BOX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SEAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
Related records - none
Find out more...