|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Hill Cottages, Broaden Lane|
This house was converted into three cottages but has now reverted back to being a single building. It dates to the late 16th century and takes the form of a timber frame faced in brick with a thatched roof. All the windows are 20th century imitations of older styles. North of the off-centre chimney stack the upper floor was formerly open to the roof. The roof now visible is an 18th century replacement.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2346 9669|
|Parish:||SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
House converted into three cottages now one again. Late 16th century timber frame faced in brick; thatched roof. Windows (including diamond mullions) are 20th century imitations. Off centre stack with blocked door opposite; newel stair on entrance side of stack. Surviving service doors and traces of probable screens passage. North of stack, upper floor formerly open to roof, three queenpost trusses. Present roof 18th century. Original beams have stepped stops. Information from (S1) replacing former brief card.
Note however that according to informant this is not Thorpe old rectory despite local legends - see site NHER 17049.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 September 1983.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 630. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
Related records - none
Find out more...