|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Red Mill, Mill Farm|
This is the site of a post medieval tower mill marked on Bryant's map of 1826. The mill was converted to steam in the 1880s and was demolished in 1950.
Images - none
Site of wind mill marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 21 July 1980.
Known as Red Mill. A tower mill, marked by (S2), last used 1916 to 1917.
Steam auxiliary from 1888, see (S3).
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.
The mill is known to have been in the ownership of the Trett family from the mid 1800s. Originally driven by wind, around 1907 a hot tube ignition engine was introduced which ran on paraffin. This was mounted on wheels so that it could be moved to power different machines in the mill. Some time after, a Ruston Hornsby engine was installed which could power all of the machinery at once.
The Trett family ran the mill up until 1966, when it was sold the year before the last family member's death. The mill only ran for 'a few more years' after that.
NIAS records (S4)
W. Arnold HES 11/01/11
- TOWER MILL (19th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1826 AD? to 1950 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Rye, C. G. 1975. The End of the Corn Mills in the Fleggs. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt II pp 185-190. p 189. |
|<S4>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...