|Type of record:||Building|
The magazine was built in 1640 as a Royalist magazine for the Civil War. The building survives substantially unchanged although there are some 19th century additions. The magazine contained complex wall paintings which were destroyed around 1920. The building was converted into a house around 1990.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7229 3689|
|Parish:||SEDGEFORD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Built 1640 as Royalist magazine for Civil War.
1977. Building survey.
(S1) shows building to be substantially of the original date with 19th century additions; so the magazine was here and not at Magazine Farm, as queried by R.R. Clarke (NCM) and O.G.S. Crawford.
(S1) confirms that the l'Estrange papers mention the building of a magazine at Sedgeford in 1640.
E. Rose (NAU), 1977, amended A. Cattermole (HES), 28 May 2015.
Building empty and derelict.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 June 1979.
Had complex wall paintings in 1920 now gone.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU).
House restored and reinhabited.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 September 2003.
(S3) suggests that the building was converted to domestic use around 1860, and that it was restored in the early 1980s.
A. Cattermole (HES), 28 May 2015.b
- MAGAZINE (17th Century to 19th Century - 1640 AD to 1860 AD?)
- PRISON (17th Century to 19th Century - 1640 AD? to 1860 AD?)
- WALL PAINTING (17th Century to Early 20th Century - 1640 AD? to 1920 AD?)
- WELL (17th Century to 21st Century - 1640 AD? to 2100 AD)
- HOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1860 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Publication: Ingleby, H.. c.1920. Charm of a Village. p.95-8. pp 95-98. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990-1998. [Sale advertisements for Magazine Cottage]. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1992. Historic choice. 14 July. |
|---||Monograph: Ketton-Cremer, R.W.. 1969. Norfolk in the Civil War.. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 636. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Sedgeford. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Virgoe, N. and Yaxley, D.. 1977. The Magazine Cottage, Sedgeford. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. [Sale advertisements for Magazine Cottage]. |
Related records - none
Find out more...