Record Details

NHER Number:16029
Type of record:Building
Name:Cold War Royal Observer Corp underground monitoring post

Summary

A Royal Observer Corps Cold War underground monitoring post, designed to measure fallout in the event of a nuclear strike. It was opened in 1958 and closed in 1968. The side of the hill under which the post stood was cut away to form the current structure, converted to a bird hide in 1975. An earlier above-ground observation post stands to the north.

Images

  • Royal Observer Corp Monitoring Post,Cley.  © J. Whiteside
  • Royal Observer Corp Monitoring Post,Cley.  © J.Whiteside

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0615 4406
Map Sheet:TG04SE
Parish:SALTHOUSE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Royal Observer Corps post. Northwest corner of Walsey Hills.
Dating from 1958 and was closed in October 1968; the side of the hill was cut away to form the present structure. Conversion to bird hide in 1975. Orlit A observation post stands to north. Was officially known as Cley Post.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), July 2000.

26 April 2001
Site Visit carried out by Subterranea Britannica (S2). Noted that all surface features remain intact, but one side of the hill has been cut away and a door and window has been added to the monitoring room. The hatch has also been welded shut. The only original internal fitting is the folding table. This site visit also records an 'Orlit A' post a few yards to the North.
C. Kolonko (HES), 24 April 2012.

21 August 2010
Photographic survey by J. Whiteside (Happisburgh Heritage Group) observed that the underground post and associated Orlit were both secured.Access is via wooden steps leading up from the parking area on the main coast road. See attached photographs.
C. Kolonko (HES), 24 April 2012.

Door and window installed in the wall bared by the cutaway and the site is now used as a hide by the Norfolk Ornithologists Association who aquired the building in 1975.
See (S1)
W. Arnold (HES), 31 January 2011

Monument Types

  • ORLIT POST (Cold War - 1958 AD to 1968 AD)
  • ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS SITE (Cold War - 1958 AD to 1968 AD)
  • HIDE (Cold War to Modern - 1975 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Article in serial: Catford, N.. 1999. ROC Underground Posts in Norfolk.. NIAS Journal. Vol 6, No 4. pp 59ff.
<S2>Website: Subterranea Britannica. 2001. http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/db/988306564.005001.html.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service