Record Details

NHER Number:16028
Type of record:Building
Name:Bayfield Brecks (formerly Bayfield Lodge)

Summary

A post medieval house and associated farm buildings. The house was built during the 18th century and later became the dower house for Bayfield Hall (NHER 6176). It is constructed of red brick, is three storeys tall and has several marble columned fireplaces, a huge kitchen fireplace and a dogleg staircase. There is a late 18th century flint and brick barn and 19th century farm buildings, including an aisled barn, a stable court and cart sheds.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0602 4080
Map Sheet:TG04SE
Parish:LETHERINGSETT WITH GLANDFORD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

April 1980.
Very interesting house. According to tenant it was built in 1749 as described in (S1) for a Mr. Savory and later became the dower house for Bayfield Hall (NHER 6176).
Red brick, three bays, three storeys. South façade has shaped gables around windows above end bays. The two windows below each gable, and the front door and window above, are set in tall recesses rising from ground to cornice. Above central bay is a pediment now built into a parapet wall (or was it originally like this?). Some of the brickwork has been renewed. Gable walls have lunettes at top, and in rear outshuts some windows have been narrowed.
Listing Grade II (S2) states built 1799 not 1749 and that shaped gables around dormer windows are 19th century additions. Notes several marble columned fireplaces, a huge kitchen fireplace at rear, and dogleg staircase.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 October 1987.

Listing (S2) also includes two barns, plus stables and stock sheds. One barn of 1799 of flint and brick, six steads, cart doors. Roof king post, dated 1799 on beam, straight braces from eaves to collars. To east, mid 19th century barn, aisled. Flint and brick. Aisle posts are of cast iron; kingpost roof. Cart sheds etc also have some cast iron piers.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 October 1987.

February 2003.
Detailed inspection of farm buildings revealed that the aisled barn and other 19th century buildings may be nearer 1900. There is a separate stable court, not listed in its own right, that is a most magnificent ensemble for heavy horses, in coloured ornamental brickwork.
Report (S3) and plans (S4) in file.
See also (S6).
E. Rose (NLA), 13 February 2003.

Photographs (S5) in file.

Monument Types

  • AISLED BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ANIMAL SHED (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
  • COACH HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
  • FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Publication: republished . The Diary of Mary Hardy of Cley.
<S2>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S3>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report..
<S4>Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
<S5>Photograph: Rose, E.. 2003. KHW 15-18.
<S6>Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2004. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2003. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt III pp 573-588. p 580.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service