|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval brick kiln|
The site of a brick kiln, marked on maps of 1826, 1836 and 1953.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9233 4369|
|Parish:||WELLS NEXT THE SEA, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Marked on (S1) of 1836, but not on (S2) of 1797.
'Kiln' marked on 1953 6 inch Ordnance Survey map.
However nothing found here when visited in 1977.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 February 1980.
Marking by Ordnance Survey is not clear, but seems to refer to above grid reference.
Corrected from previous reference, 9236 4369 which is a 19th century house.
West of footpath and east of small pit.
This area overgrown and nothing visible; pit used as coal store.
Might remain underground.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 December 1986.
Newspaper cutting (S3) in file.
Marked on (S4) of 1826.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 March 2001.
- BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1813. OS 1st Edition 2". |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Dereham and Fakenham Times. 1989. Save buildings for a museum (letter to the editor). 1 September. |
|<S4>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
Related records - none
Find out more...