|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flint tools, from 'Rougham area'|
Sometime before 1973 a number of prehistoric flint tools were reportedly recovered from the parish. These artefacts included pounders, scrapers and an arrowhead.
Images - none
|Parish:||ROUGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Pre 1973. 'Found in Rougham area'.
Seven small worked flints, some dubious character, grey, rather patinated, some with cortex remaining.
No.6, 9cm x 8cm, grey, patinated, two worked edges.
No.8, 9cm x 6cm, grey patinated, some cortex remaining, slightly worked scraping edge.
No.9, 14cm x 6cm, grey one side completely covered by cortex, worked at widest end.
No.10, 10cm x 7cm - buff, slight evidence of working along one edge.
No.11, 8cm x 9cm, triangular grey with a worn notch on one edge.
Also a hammer stone, approximate diameter 5-7cm, grey, much patinated on the smooth base, otherwise pitted surface.
Also a spokeshave, L-shaped, 9cm x 6.5cm, grey flint, somewhat patinated with cortex remaining.
E. James (KLM) August 1974.
Finder's catalogue gives under 'Rougham area' the following, some or all of which are presumably the same as those listed above.
Arrowhead: 10A, 4K (broken).
Knife: 8E, 13E, 16-17E, 73E.
Scraper: 4G, 12G, 33-4H, 44H, 47H.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- ARROWHEAD (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- HAMMERSTONE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- KNIFE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- SPEAR (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...