|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval windmill and post medieval objects|
According to 18th and 19th century maps, a windmill once stood at this location. Investigations of this area in the 1970s recovered an undated spindle whorl, post medieval jetton and the bowl of a post medieval clay pipe.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 6213 9462|
|Parish:||SOUTHERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Hard grey spindle whorl of pottery.
Jetton by Hans Schultes with square perforation: Nuremberg, late 16th century. Obverse: Reichsapfel HANS SCHULTES ON NVRNB. Reverse: Lion of St Mark, SANTVS MARCVS.
Clay pipe bowl with crossed keys on both sides.
Identifications by A. Rogerson (NAU).
Found by S. Ashley (NAU).
All held by NCM.
A. Rogerson (NAU) January 1980.
Also site of a windmill marked on Faden 1797 and on Bryant 1826.
See also NHER 2592.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.
Although a mill is shown at this location on Faden's 1797 map (S1), this does not appear to be the same mill that is depicted on Bryants 1826 map and later maps. The 19th century mill was located on Mill Lane further to the northeast (see NHER 57872).
J. Albone (HES), 13 June 2012
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Undated)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...