|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||2, 4 and 6, White Hart Street|
This two storey timber framed building was formerly the White Hart Inn. It was constructed in the 17th century, but was almost completely rebuilt in the 19th century when at least part of the building was converted to shops. In the late 20th century it was again partly rebuilt when portions were converted to offices. The ground floor retains a square carriage entrance, a bowed 19th century shop front, and one bricked-in window with ovolo moulded mullions. Timber studs and a dragon beam have been identified at the ground floor to No. 2, suggesting that it was once jettied, and a cross wing in the courtyard retains exposed flint, brick and clunch. In 1979 wall paintings were discovered during restoration which are believed to date to the 17th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8692 8320|
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
March 1971. Listed, Grade II.
Former White Hart Inn. Listed Building (1971).
Former inn, now 2 shops and offices. 17th century structure almost completely rebuilt 19th century, partly rebuilt late 20th century. Timber-framed, flint and brick. Pantile roof. 2 storeys. Façade with 6 first-floor window bays, irregularly disposed. First floor rendered and colourwashed. Square carriage entrance to rear is set to left. Left of this is a bowed 19th century shop front with a 20th century glazed doorway. Ground floor to right of carriage arch rebuilt 20th century: 2 doors, a shop display window and a sash. Six 6/6 first-floor sashes. Hipped roof. South return with three 6/6 horned sashes each floor under segmental heads. Courtyard elevations extensively rebuilt late 20th century. 2-storey cross wing to rear of No.6 still has exposed flint, clunch and brick construction. One first-floor blocked window retains 3 ovolo-moulded mullions.
INTERIOR: cellar under No.2 much rebuilt. Ground floor of No.2 with timber studs evident and a dragon beam to south-west room suggesting a former jetty. First floor with chamfered and tongue-stopped bridging beams. Similar bridging beams survive elsewhere in Nos 4 & 6.
Information from (S1).
Wallpaintings uncovered in restoration in No.4.
Identified by Department of Environment as 17th century, but Breckland District Council believes the building is of later date than this.
E. Rose (NAU) January 1980.
N.B. this site was formerly confused with NHER 12109.
Building listed as former White Hart Inn. Listing confirms 17th century date though it does not mention wallpaintings. Timber framed with carriage arch and 19th century bow shop front. Most of exterior of late date but cross wing in courtyard retains exposed flint, clunch and brick; one first floor window with ovolo mullions. No.2 has dragon beam indicating former jetty. Tongue stops to first floor beams. Cellar, much rebuilt.
E. Rose (NLA) 30 March 1994.
- (Former Type) INN (16th Century to 19th Century - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
- CELLAR (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
- HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
- JETTIED HOUSE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
- SHOP (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD? to 2100 AD)
- OFFICE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1967 AD to 2100 AD)
- WALL PAINTING (16th Century to 19th Century - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 718. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1196090. |
Related records - none
Find out more...