|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period pottery sherds|
Fieldwalking here in 1979 recovered sherds of Roman, Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery. The medieval sherds were the most numerous and were unglazed.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1780 9211|
|Parish:||WACTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
November 1979. Context 2. Scatter over south edge field, with concentration at grid reference of a pylon.
Medieval, transitional and post medieval sherds.
A. Lawson (NCM) November 1979.
28 October 1979. Context 1 over remainder of field, may in fact include above material.
One body sherd possibly Thetford type.
One early medieval ginger jar rim.
Seventy medieval unglazed.
One medieval glazed.
One oxydised Roman or Late medieval/Trans.
Thirteen glazed red earthenware.
Four post medieval stoneware.
Various recent china, brick, tile, glass etc.
Finds held by NCM.
Identifications by A. Rogerson (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU) 1 December 1988.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...