|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval windmill and watermill at Mill Farm|
A windmill and watermill are marked here on several historic maps dating back to 1675. The timber framed mill house dates back to the 17th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2088 9496|
|Parish:||LONG STRATTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|TASBURGH, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Watermill and windmill marked here on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 19 December 1979.
Shown on (S2), and on (S3), but (S4) has only 'Mill Meadow'.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.
(S5) in secondary file for NHER 9966.
(S2) shows only the windmill east of the road, not the watermill.
(S6) in file taken in 2003 shows the mill building as it now stands with overgrown tailrace in front; waterwheel was on left hand end. The river is now diverted.
E. Rose (NLA) 27 February 2003.
Mill Farmhouse is listed Grade II; 17th century timber-framed. Roughcast. Steep pantile roof with gabled ends, one
end with brick coping. Two storeys and attic. Two windows. Three and four-light late 19th century wood mullion/transom casements. Two simple plank doors. One gabled dormer. Brick stack at end. Later lean-to at rear. Interior: stop-chamfered beams.
Information taken from (S7).
S. Spooner (NLA) 5 May 2006
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: 1675. Ogilvie's Roadbook. pl 74. |
|<S3>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Map: 1838. Long Stratton St Michael Tithe Map. |
|<S5>||Photograph: Funnell, B.. |
|<S6>||Photograph: Funnell, B.. 2003. |
|<S7>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...