|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval post mill and tower mill|
A postmill is shown on this site on Faden's map of 1797. A tower mill was built here in the late 18th century, and is shown on an Ordnance Survey map of 1836. The post mill was demolished in 1853, but the tower mill was converted to steam during the 19th century and it was demolished after 1913.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 464 180|
|Parish:||MARTHAM, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Site of Martham wind mill.
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 18 December 1979.
Another mill had appeared by 1836, see (S2).
Post mill, there before 1786, demolished in 1853.
Despite not being on (S1), this second mill was a tower mill built in 1789 and last used 1912, informant .
E. Rose (NAU) 22 March 1982.
(S3) has a slightly different account; states post mill burnt about 1786 and replaced by tower mill, and round house of post mill then used as store, which was demolished 1853. Tower mill had three pairs of stones and unusually a round house. Steam engine by 1886. Demolished 1913.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 July 1984.
- POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOWER MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Rye, C. G. 1975. The End of the Corn Mills in the Fleggs. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt II pp 185-190. p 188. |
Related records - none
Find out more...