|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Rectangular enclosure of unknown date and multi-period finds|
A rectangular enclosure of unknown date is visible as a soilmark on aerial photographs. Metal-detecting has recovered a Roman brooch, a Late Saxon or medieval bell and a medieval buckle. Metal-detecting in 2011 recovered a Middle Saxon cross brooch.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 71 21|
|Parish:||GRIMSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Soilmark of rectangular enclosure with elliptical annexe (faint).
A. Gregory (NAU) 1973.
October 1995. Metal-detecting finds. Finds from across field.
?Late Saxon bell and medieval metal finds.
See list in file with grid reference.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 27 November 1995.
2010; before 24 January 2011. Metal-detecting.
Middle Saxon cross brooch.
See description in file.
A. Rogerson (HES), 14 June 2011.
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- SITE (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- BELL (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. OS AP 73 052 203. |
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Photograph: 1995. LCH 19-20, Romano British plate brooch.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...