|Type of record:||Find Spot|
A Neolithic polished axehead, made of flint, an Early Saxon brooch, medieval pottery fragments and a medieval seal, and post medieval pottery fragments and building materials found by fieldwalking.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 08 81|
|Parish:||BRESSINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
April to May 1979.
Five fields walked systematically by NSMD.
Medieval sherds; 2 Grimston green glazed, 2 late medieval/Trans, many small worn sherds. Post medieval sherds and building material.
Context 1 at TM 0859 8166.
1 Neolithic polished flint axe in orange brown flint. See drawing (S1).
Context 2 at TM 0861 8161.
1 Early Saxon annular brooch with plain loop with animal headed terminals. Between these is worn narrow bar for end of pin to rest on. Loop opposite is worn by pin attachment. Diameter 32mm. 6th century? See drawing (S2).
Context 3 at TM 0862 8159.
1 Late 14th/early 15th century seal, handle missing. Copper alloy disc damaged; shield couche, helm supported by two birds. Legend: SILL GUILLELMI'.
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SEAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Taylor, A. 1979. Drawing of a Neolithic polished flint axehead. Card. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Unknown. Unknown. Drawing of an Early Saxon annular brooch.. Card. Unknown. |
Related records - none
Find out more...