|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||World War Two observation tower|
A tall brick observation tower dating from World War Two. The beacon is probably linked to nearby World War Two bomb targets, see NHER 12833. For a second tower, see NHER 50443.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 673 219|
|Parish:||GRIMSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Northeast Warren Farm.
18 September 1979. Visited by E. Rose (NAU)
Very tall brick structure; four square brick columns connected at top with concrete lintels and lower down by iron rods.
Probably a wartime beacon connected with bomb targets to northeast (NHER 12833).
One of two quadrant towers (NHER 15295 and NHER 50443). It is thought that both towers had a wooden superstructure attached by bolts to the concrete ring beam sitting on top of the piers. Both towers show some concrete foundations at the base indicating where a ladder was mounted for access.
D. Gurney (HES), 22 November 2011.
This tower was previously mapped at  but the mapping has been amended to correspond with the Ordnance Survey map.
A. Beckham (HES), 28 May 2014.
- BEACON (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Website: Airfield Information Exchange. 2011. [unknown]. |
Related records - none
Find out more...