|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval watermill|
The former watermill here was marked on Faden's map of 1797. The mill itself no longer survives but a 19th century brick and flint outbuilding was converted into a Scout hut in the late 1970s. The millstone from the mill has been squared off and set in the riverbank as step.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 830 949|
|Parish:||STANFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Watermill; marked on Faden's map 1797. Now under restoration as Scout HQ.
E. Rose (NAU) 10 September 1979.
See NHER 5146 - though this is probably not the water mill mentioned there. The mill itself is in fact demolished; the brick channels remain, and bridges, with iron machinery base dated 1840. Millstone, squared off and set in river bank as step. The scout building is a restored 19th century brick and flint outbuilding. To south a large derelict 19th century flint house.
See newpaper cutting (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 26 February 1981.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILLSTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL 8395A-E,H,J-L (restricted). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 18 May 1981. |
Related records - none
Find out more...