|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval windmill|
The site of a windmill, marked on a map of 1797.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 914 433|
|Parish:||WELLS NEXT THE SEA, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of windmill. Marked on (S1), 1797.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 September 1979.
Post mill recorded 1714. Called New Mill 1813 (so rebuilt?). Demolished 1866.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 March 1982.
A modern copy of a map in the Holkham Archives, held at Westward House, Mill Road, Wells, shows this mill nearer to Mill Road to the north. Sale catalogues of 1810 refer to two postmills with French stones, and in 1864 to one postmill and one tower mill with two common and two patent sails. These refer both to site 15205 and this site and it is not known which mills are meant.
Comp. E.Rose 15 May 1995.
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...