|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval windmills|
The site of two windmills, marked on a map of 1797.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 908 435|
|Parish:||WELLS NEXT THE SEA, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of two windmills. Marked on (S1), 1797.
E. Rose (NAU) 6 September 1979.
Two post mills recorded in 1714. Replaced by tower mill 1827. Last used 1892.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 March 1982.
A modern copy of a map in the Holkham archives, the copy held at Westward House, Mill Road, Wells, does show as stated both postmills to the north of the road. But a transcript of the 1813 Enclosure map shows 'Mr Hudsons New Mill' on this site, and 'Mr Hudsons Old Mill' on the opposite side of Mill Road. Probably the Holkham and Faden maps are more likely to be correct. Sales catalogues for 1810 refer to two postmills with French stones, and for 1864 for one postmill and one tower mill with two common sails and two patent sails; but one of these may have been site NHER 15206.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 May 1995.
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...