Record Details

NHER Number:15150
Type of record:Building
Name:3 to 6 Chapel Yard (West side of Albert Street car park).


These four cottages, now an antique shop, have 19th century exteriors, but restoration work in the 1970s revealed an original basic structure of about 1550, including a brick fireplace with five niches over it. The cottages can lay claim to be the oldest surviving examples of their kind in the town, much of which was destroyed by fire in the early 18th century.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0776 3885
Map Sheet:TG03NE

Full description

Cottages. Restoration uncovered basic structure of about 1550 under 19th century exteriors, including brick fireplace with five niches above.
Stated by source at North Norfolk District Council as best example he had seen.
Now used as antique shop.
See press cutting (S1), in file. (S2).
E. Ros (NAU), 21 August 1979.

Grid reference corrected on ground 17 October 1979, E. Rose (NAU).

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Newspaper Article: 1977. Eastern Daily Press. 25 January.
<S2>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service