Record Details

NHER Number:15138
Type of record:Monument
Name:Cropmark of an undated ring ditch, and associated finds


The cropmark of a ring ditch of unknown date, 28m in diameter, is visible on aerial photographs from 1979. This may correspond to circular pits of similar size visible in this area. A metal detecting survey in 1990 recovered one worked flint, Iron Age to medieval pottery sherds, and a Roman dolphin brooch.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 76 03
Map Sheet:TF70SE

Full description

OS air photograph.
Cropmark of ring ditch 28m in diameter. Plotted on NAU overlay sheet for [1], July 1979.
D. Edwards (NAU), 7 August 1979.

Note however circular pits in this area of about this size.
E. Rose (NAU).

13 February 1989. Site visit.
No surface traces found.
J. J. Wymer (NAU).

February 1990. Metal detecting survey of ring ditch and immediate area to south but no precise plotting. [2].
One blade-like flint flake.
Fourteen gritty sherds, probably Iron Age, ten sandy sherds, probably Iron Age. One sandy sherd with grooved decoration, possibly Early Saxon? Two medieval unglazed, one Roman greyware.
Dolphin brooch, rear hook spring, part of catchplate missing. Moulded wings and bow, silvered, dated to AD 40 to AD 55. Identified by D. Gurney (NAU).
A. Rogerson, (NAU) 27 February 1990.

Monument Types

  • RING DITCH (Unknown date)
  • RING DITCH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)

Associated Finds

  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
  • BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: OS AP 76 124 410.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service