Record Details

NHER Number:15112
Type of record:Building
Name:Scratby Hall (formerly Duncan Hall School)

Summary

A mid 18th century house that was enlarged and partially rebuilt in the late 19th century. The house has a mixture of 18th and 19th century sash windows, a 19th century bow window and a full-height porch with a Doric doorcase. The house was converted into a boarding school after World War Two, and has now been re-developed.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 5018 1539
Map Sheet:TG51NW
Parish:ORMESBY ST MARGARET WITH SCRATBY, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Late 17th century and 1750.

2 August 1979. Site visited by E. Rose (NAU).
According to (S1) the hall dates from 1750.
This would be correct for the southern half of the main west facade. This portion is of 3 bays, 2 storeys, with panelled parapet; in red brick with flush windows; north of the end bay a projecting canted bay with classical doorcase. However the remaining bay north of latter, and the north front, are obviously part of an older house, also in red brick but of the type in use in late 17th or very early 18th century. Rusticated brick quoins. The windows have been altered, perhaps to fit with the more recent part, and the later parapet carried right round. There seem to be other sections of older work at the south-east with a dentilled cornice.
It seems as if the 1750 block was added to the older, smaller house, as the brick quoins of the latter appear at the straight join in the west facade, but the owners say there is a story that the old hall was burnt down. Good wrought-iron verandah, Regency?, on south front.
Two modern single-storey bay windows added onto old section.
Despite the date of 1750 given above, Sylas Neville left the hall in 1771 and on returning in 1783 described it as 'greatly altered', making it look a very irregular building.
See (S2) and (S3).

November 1989.
Damaged by fire.
See (S1) in file.

(S4) however sees the older work as 1750 and the later work as 1866 with even later 19th century additions.
E. Rose (NLA) 16th August 1994.

(S5), 1990, in file
E. Rose (NLA) 8 May 1992.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
  • (Former Type) SCHOOL (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Unknown. 1997. Photographs of Scratby Hall.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 630.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Website: Driskell, S. [unknown]. Duncan Hall School. BENE VIVERE DISCE. https://sites.google.com/site/duncanhallschool/. 27 July 2017.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Blaze ravages former school. 23 November.
<S2>Article in Serial: Stowers, V.. 1991. Sylas Neville.. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 37.
<S3>Publication: Cozens-Hardy, B.. 1950. Diary of Sylas Neville 1767-1788.
<S4>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1216602.
<S5>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service