|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Olave's Marsh Drainage Mill|
A rare smock type drainage mill, dating to 1910 and replacing an earlier mill. It has a square tapering tower, with tarred weatherborded sides, and is anchored by heavy concrete blocks. The mill fell out of use in about 1960, and was in a state of disrepair until restored in 1980. It retains all its internal machinery, although today, the drainage is done by an electric pump in a small adjacent shed.
Images - none
Formerly in Herringfleet, Suffolk.
Unusual octagonal smock mill presumably surrounding iron frame which protrudes at corners of base and rests on concrete blocks. Small boat shaped cap with frame for fantail and various pieces of machinery remain, including a wheel hanging below the fantail cradle. Scoopwheel covered. Sits over brick channel but no longer connected to dyke. Built in 1910 and restored 1975.
Also known as Pony Mill; stands on site of older smock mill demolished 1889. Information from (S1).
The hanging wheel presumably is a weight changer indicating Cubitt's patent sails.
Previous mill was demolished 18 February 1898, not 1889; photograph of site in (S3).
Newspaper cuttings (S4) and (S5) and photograph (S6) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 July 1979.
Built by Dan England of Ludham, on site of older smock mill. (S1).
R.J.Rickett (NAU), 10 May 1990.
(S7) notes that the frame is of wood, not iron as stated. All machinery of iron except the main shaft, of wood. Fantail etc restored 1980.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 November 1998.
However (S8) says the builder was in fact William England of Yarmouth, Dan’s cousin. The reference discusses two mills, Fritton Warren Marshes and St Olave’s priory marshes, dating the former to 1910 and the latter to 1915; the latter being a skeleton mill soon boarded over.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 November 2005.
Two photographs of the mill. One without sails and painted white the other complete with four patent sails and painted black. See (S9).
A. Rix (HES), 23 November 2011
- DRAINAGE MILL (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1910 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Alderton, D. and Booker, J.. 1980. The Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia.. 116. |
|---||Monograph: Brown, R.J.. 1976. Windmills of England.. 235. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TM 4599AH-AL. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Dolman, P.C.J.. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk. |
|---||Monograph: Smith-Wynne. 1914. St. Olave's Priory and Bridge. |
|---||Photograph: Photographs of St Olave's Marsh Drainage Mill, Fritton and St Olaves. Colour and Black and White. |
|---||Photograph: Eastern Counties Newspapers. 1955. St. Olave's. Print, b&w. |
|---||Photograph: Eastern Counties Newspapers. 1961. St Olave's. Print, b&w. |
|---||Photograph: Eastern Counties Newspapers. St Olave's. |
|---||Photograph: Ashley, H.. 1957. St. Olave's, Staithe, River Waveney. Print. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 49 NE 19. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Smith, A.C.. 1977. Drainage Windmills of Norfolk Marshes.. No 21. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1978. Boys help renovate wind pump. 13 November. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. [Illustration of St Olave's Drainage Mill]. 10 August. |
|<S6>||Photograph: CPL 13. |
|<S7>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372904. |
|<S8>||Article in Serial: Allard, P.. 2005. William T. England, Yarmouth Millwright. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 22. |
|<S9>||Photograph: St Olave's. |
|MNO7370||Related to: St. Olave's Marsh Drainage Mill St Olaves FRITTON & ST OLAVES (Revoked)|
Find out more...