Record Details

NHER Number:14701
Type of record:Building
Name:Church Farmhouse, Wood Lane

Summary

Church Farmhouse is a timber-framed house with a steeply pitched pantile roof with gabled ends and an off centre brick chimneystack. This house may have originally been a 15th or 16th century hall house, when it would have had only one floor. It appears that during the 17th century an upper floor was added and a number of beams were cut through to add doorways. A large arrowhead, possibly a ballista bolt, was recovered from the floor of the building during restoration.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 2192 9098
Map Sheet:TM29SW
Parish:SHELTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1979. Site visit. Southeast of Shelton Church.
15th to 16th century single room house, with 17th century upper floor and barn.
Timber framed house with central brick chimney stack, much mutilated but bricks visible seem 15th to 16th century. Walls rest on massive sleeper beams. Upper floor obviously inserted. Tie beams on arched braces have been cut through to make doorways. Original curved tiebeam in apex of roof (now in attic). Small upper windows include one (blocked) with original angled mullions, in west gable wall; another said to be hidden in north wall. Spiral staircase beside chimney. This would suggest a hallhouse, with upper floor and these windows inserted in early 17th century, but no indications of solar end, and present gable walls are certainly original; so seems to have originally been a single cell house with central chimney and two fireplaces, or one large open one. Listed as 15th century which is probably correct.
Victorian dairy on east. Mutilated in past, now under sympathetic restoration. [1]. Barn to rear, unremarkable outside, said [1] to be 'Tudor' but interior inaccessible owing to different owner.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 March 1979.

August 1979.
Found under floor during restoration.
Iron ballista? bolt, medieval type; or thick arrowhead.
Shown briefly to E. Rose (NAU), September 1979.

English Heritage Listing:
Church Farmhouse, Wood Lane. Shelton.
17th century timber-framed house, plastered. Steeply pitched pantile roof with gabled ends. Brick chimney stack off centre. Two storeys and attic, (attic windows in gable ends). Three window range, modern two and three-light casements, with glazing bars. Central modern plank door in front of stack with modern porch. Later single storey plus attic wing on east end, with pantile roof.
Information from (S1).

Monument Types

  • BARN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HALL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARROWHEAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BALLISTA BOLT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources - none

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service