|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Princess Victoria public house, Wisbech Road|
This public house is of local brown brick and is marked 1651 on the north tumbled gable. The south chimney stack has two original flues, now bricked as one. The interior of the main block has one room, which has four bridging beams with tongue stops and sunk quadrant mouldings.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5044 1764|
|Parish:||WALPOLE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Plaque in north tumbled gable 'IF 1651'. Local brown brick. West front of two storeys divided by string course. South gable obscured by large original rectangular chimneystack which rises no higher than apex. Rear (east) wing has double chimney joined at base and top, but top has been rebuilt.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 27 February 1979.
Listing states that the south stack in fact has two original flues, now bricked as one. Interior, now one room in main block, has four bridging beams with tongue stops and sunk quadrant mouldings. Similar mouldings in wallplate over window to right of door. Ceiling joists with sunk quadrant edges. Listing (S1) Grade II.
Architect's plans (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 20 May 1986.
- INN (17th Century to 21st Century - 1651 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 745. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1237262. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
Related records - none
Find out more...