Record Details

NHER Number:14524
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval windmill

Summary

A windmill was marked at this location on Faden's map of 1797. It was presumably a large and prominent one as it is named rather than just marked by a symbol. Further research shows that a postmill standing here was referred to in 1800 and 1810 but not afterwards.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6673 0960
Map Sheet:TF60NE
Parish:SHOULDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Windmill marked on Faden's map 1797, presumably a large and prominent one as it is named rather than just marked by a symbol.

A postmill referred to in 1800 and 1810 but not afterwards - informant.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.

More accurate location obtained from 1813 2in Ordnance Survey map.
E. Rose (NLA) 7 March 2001.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Map: Ordnance Survey. 1813. OS 1st Edition 2".
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service