|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval windmill|
A windmill was situated just south of the surviving granary as indicated on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch map of 1891. This was a tower mill of 1827 which replaced a Post mill. It was demolished in 1896.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6941 0747|
|Parish:||SHOULDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of wind mill, marked on Faden's map 1797 (S1) as Fincham Windmill, though just over modern parish boundary.
E. Rose (NAU) 1978.
There is a possible very slight rise at this point in the field as if of a ploughed out millmound.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 August 1980.
Marked on (S2). Replaced by a tower mill in 1827.
Demolished 1896 according to informant.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.
Marked on first edition Ordnance Survey. For full history see (S3)
S. Heywood (HES) 2 October 2013
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: Bowen, E.. 1749. A Map of the County of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Website: Neville, J.. 2007. Shouldham Mill Farm towermill. http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Windmills/shouldham-mill-farm-towermill.html. 31 May 2017. |
Related records - none
Find out more...