|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of two post medieval post mills|
Late 17th/early 18th century maps mark this location as the site of two post mills: one called Northwold Mill and the other Manby's Turret.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7412 9735|
|Parish:||NORTHWOLD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of wind mill, marked on (S1).
(S2) apparently marks two mills here, one called Northwold Mill and the other Manby's Turret. Informant notes that both were post mills. Northwold Mill was last used 1878. Manby's Turret was last used 1854. The name 'turret' was sometimes given to early post mills on a roundhouse.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.
- WINDMILL (16th Century to 19th Century - 1540 AD to 1854 AD)
- WINDMILL (16th Century to 19th Century - 1540 AD to 1878 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...