|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval windmill|
The site of a post medieval windmill, marked on 18th and 19th century maps. Nothing remains today except a low earth mound.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0392 0947|
|Parish:||GARVESTONE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Mound, mill mound?, ditched. Greenhouses on it.
Reported by Ordnance Survey 2 February 1979.
Low, 1m high mound surrounded by field ditch on north and northeast next to Windmill House. Hardly perceptible as mound, under glasshouses. Marked as a mill on (S1).
A. Lawson (NAU, 16 November 1979.
Mill also marked on (S2).
A post mill, last used in 1868 and demolished in January 1870. Informant.
E. Rose (NAU) 4 February 1982.
- WINDMILL MOUND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...