|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval leper hospital (West Winch, poorly located)|
It is thought that a leper hospital was present near Setchey during the medieval period. The exact location is unknown, and no remains have been recorded. It is possible that Wormegay priory was originally founded at the same site.
Images - none
|Parish:||WEST WINCH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Setchey Hithe'. Leper hospital mentioned here in (S1).
This reference describes one Stephen Guybon who, in 1434, gave 12d to every leper house in Lynn, including one at 'Seche Hithe'.
Information from R. Trett (KLM).
(S2) suggests Wormegay priory was first founded at the same site. Henry II's charter of 1175 makes reference to 'the church of St Mary and St John at Setchey in the vicinity of Wormegay', suggesting that the original dedication and location of the priory were different from those recorded subsequently. The charter also makes reference to the priory's obligation to minister to the needs of a house already built by Reginald de Warenne, intended to support a community of 13 lepers. There is no later reference to a hospital at Wormegay priory.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 February 2000. Amended A. Cattermole (King's Lynn UAD), 15 May 2019.
- LEPER HOSPITAL (12th Century to 15th Century - 1175 AD? to 1434 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Hillen, H. J. 1907. History of the Borough of King's Lynn. p 250. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Vincent, N. 1999. The Foundation of Wormegay Priory. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 307-312. pp 307-308. |
Related records - none
Find out more...