|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Mary's medieval chapel of ease|
It is recorded that a chapel of ease, dedicated to St Mary, was founded near Swaffham by Earl of Richmond in 1304. It decayed after the Reformation, and the location of the site is unclear. It is suggested that NHER 24393 and NHER 24394 may be the site of this chapel, and that stone has been reused in St Mary's Barn.
Images - none
|Parish:||SWAFFHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
'1/2 mile from Swaffham' (which direction?)
Chapel of Ease, St Mary's, founded by Earl of Richmond 1304. Decayed after Reformation.
See (S1) (quoted Ordnance Survey card).
(S2) confirms above information but states it stood in the town.
Swaffham Museum suggests site NHER 24393 - foundations - and site NHER 24394 - reused stone in St Mary's Barn.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 18 April 1988.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1304 AD? to 1539 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1931. The Ruined Churches of Norfolk. p 34. |
|<S2>||Serial: 1819. Excursions through Norfolk.. 2. |
Related records - none
Find out more...