|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric pot boilers and multi-period pottery sherds|
Fieldwalking here during 1978-80 recovered prehistoric pot boilers and flint flakes along with sherds of Roman, Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery. Pottery types identified included Late Saxon Thetford Ware, Roman greyware and medieval Grimston Ware. In addition, the decorated bowl of a post medieval clay tobacco pipe was recovered from the same site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1760 9172|
|Parish:||WACTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
29 October 1978.
Medieval sherds found next to L-shaped pond, but judging from map probably not a moat; now filled in.
1979/80. Further finds.
17th century sherds, pot boilers, early medieval ware rims, medieval sherds, few late medieval; few Thetford type rims.
Identifications by W. Milligan (NCM) 20 October 1980.
Re-identified 1988 by A. Rogerson as:
Six medieval unglazed, one unidentified reduced sherd, two medieval glazed including small handle with combed decoration arm from face jug?, one late medieval/transitional (in a separate box).
Four flint flakes, two Roman greyware, twelve Thetford type most late fabric including one burnt rim; one bodysherd pale grey pimply fabric but NOT Ipswich, undated. Sixty-seven medieval unglazed perhaps including some Late Saxon Thetford; one medieval glazed; one probable Grimston glazed; one glazed Grimston arm from face jug.
Two late medieval/transitional; three glazed red earthenware; recent flowerpot, glass, china, stoneware, decorated tobacco pipe bowl etc.
Finds held by NCM.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 December 1988.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT BOILER (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
Related records - none
Find out more...