|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric pot boilers and multi-period objects|
Investigations at this site over a long period have recovered a variety of archaeological objects. Noteworthy finds include a Roman bone needle, an undated shale bracelet, Neolithic and Bronze age flints and a Roman gold coin.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||SOUTHERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Pre 1922. Pelican bone needle found, piles and pewter recorded.
1978. Roman and post medieval sherds, shale bracelet found.
1979. Neolithic-Beaker flint and pottery, Roman, Middle Saxon and medieval pottery found.
1987-88. Fenland fieldwalking; Iron Age, Roman sherds, pot boilers.
1989-90. Fenland Evaluation of site.
See full details in file.
For full details of wares, flint types etc. see Fenland Folders.
September 2000. Metal detecting. Kings Lynn Enquiry No: E10124.
Roman gold coin.
See list in file.
K. Hinds (NLA) 11 October 2000.
- PILE (Undated)
- BURNT MOUND (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BRACELET (Undated)
- LOOMWEIGHT (Undated)
- TILE (Undated)
- POT BOILER (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)
- POT (Beaker - 2300 BC to 1700 BC)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- NEEDLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PLATE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. SRY 6. FENS. |
|---||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. SRY 7. FENS. |
|---||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. SRY 8. FENS. |
|---||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. SRY AI. FENS. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Southery. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...