|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval hall|
The site of a 17th century and earlier hall, situated to the south of St Andrew's Church, which reportedly burnt down in the late 18th century. Documentary sources state that a new façade was added to an older building in 1661. An 18th century illustration shows a two storey E-shaped house with shaped gables.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0893 2684|
|Parish:||WOOD DALLING, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
South of church. Site of Hall.
Site of the 'other' Wood Dalling Hall, as marked on Faden's map 1797 (S1), (which marks the building more usually called by this name as Guestwick Hall).
(S2) says that Edward Bulwer who died in 1661 'built the west front of the mansion house by the church' and in a footnote on page 321 speaks of a coats of arms carved on the wainscotting in the parlour 'of the house at Churchgate'.
There is a plate of this building in (S3), by Repton (copy in file). It shows an E-shaped house with shaped gables,
rounded dormers over the single bays between the wings, two bay outer wings, single bay porch tower, two storeys divided by a string course, angle pilasters, coat of arms over door.
These details fit an early 17th century façade; presumably the mass of the building was earlier if the façade was added.
Is the pond marked on the 6 inch Ordnance Survey map (S4) the remains of a moat?
Demolished before tithe map surveyed early 19th century.
Enclosure map of 1823 does not cover this area.
According to informant , burnt down in the 18th century.
E. Rose (NAU), 7 September 1979.
(S1) shows a small park to the south-east at TG 0857 2655.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 2008.
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Manning, J.. 1834. Wood Dalling tithe map.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1808. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VIII. p 322. |
|<S3>||Serial: Armstrong, M. J.. 1781. The History and Antiquities of the County of Norfolk.. Vol III. |
|<S4>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...