|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||World War Two pillbox|
During an excavation carried out by the NAU in 1970, see NHER 1016, the concrete base of a polygonal World War Two pillbox was revealed. Medieval pottery has been found on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7028 2203|
|Parish:||GRIMSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
During excavations on site NHER 1016, trial trench dug west of road here revealed only modern build up above natural.
East of road, building trenches revealed only topsoil with no finds above natural.
Information from D. Edwards (NAU) 1978.
The excavation revealed also a concrete polygonal base, confirmed by local people as having been a pill box.
Information from A. Rogerson (NAU) 5 August 1986.
However, (S1) states that large quantities of medieval pottery were found west of the road.
E. Rose (NLA) 15 July 1994.
- BUILDING (Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
- PILLBOX (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Monograph: Leah, M. et al.. 1994. The Late Saxon and Medieval Pottery Industry of Grimston, Norfolk: Excavations 1962 to 92.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 64. p11. |
Related records - none
Find out more...