Record Details

NHER Number:13759
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval wind pump and pumping station


This is the site of a post medieval wind pump shown on Bryant's map of 1826. A steam pumping engine was built on the site by Sir Lewis Whincop Jarvis in 1877 to lift water into the Middleton Stop Drain. The pumping station closed in 1934 and the engine was dismantled in 1975, but the scoop wheel and the chimney remain and are the only upstanding examples in the Norfolk Fens.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6583 1791
Map Sheet:TF61NE

Full description

Steam pumping engine with scoop wheel to lift water to Middleton Stop Drain.
Plan in (S1).

On site of Mintlyn Mill (windpump) shown on (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 22 May 2001.

Further details: Built by Sir Lewis Whincop Jarvis in 1877 as a 10hp non-condensing vertical with single reduction geared scoopwheel. Engine originally drove the feed water pump as well, later replaced by an Injector. Closed 1934, dismantled 1975, but scoop wheel and chimney remain, the only example in the Norfolk Fens.
See (S3).
E. Rose (NLA), 22 October 2004.

Remains of building in English bond brickwork, light red colour, south gable of darker red as if a replacement. Pilasters at ends of gable walls and four along side walls; doors towards south end. Scoop wheel, iron with wooden paddles, about 3m diameter, is in separate walled-off chamber at south. Chimney to north with iron cap. Main roof has collapsed. Site overgrown.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 March 2005.

Monument Types

  • PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Photograph: KWQ 32-36.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Article in Serial: Skerritt, M. W. and Walker, V. 1978. Four Short Reports. Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. Vol II No 3 pp 43-45. p 44.
<S2>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S3>Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2004. Pumping Stations in the Norfolk Fens Part 3, East of Ouse.. NIAS Journal. vol 7, pt 4, p 88..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service