|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Gay and Wilson's Tramway, Grimston Warren|
A post medieval tramway which took sand from Grimston Warren to Bawsey. The tramway closed in 1905. It was surveyed during the Grimston Warren (West) Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey in 2007.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6804 2146|
|Parish:||GRIMSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Sand from Grimston Warren taken to Bawsey Siding.
Closed after 1905.
Information from (S1) but the grid references in this article are taken from a one-inch map.
(S2) shows a tramway diverging from the main railway at TF68162106, running north to a strange kink (reversing spur?) then dividing, one branch to the northeast to a set of sidings in a sand pit, a longer branch to the northwest to another pit at TF 6788 2188. Given the date it seems probable this is the correct line of Gay and Wilson’s rather than being a different tramway.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 January 2007.
March 2007. Grimston Warren (West) Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey. Site 9.
J. Allen (NLA), 3 July 2007.
- TRAMWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Article in serial: Fisher, C. 1978. The Narrow Gauge Tramways of Norfolk. Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. Vol II No 3 pp 36-41. p 40. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Cushion, B.. 2007. Grimston Warren (West) Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey, For the National Trust. |
Related records - none
Find out more...