|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Roman pottery finds|
Many fragments of Roman pottery, oyster shells and burnt bone were reported to have been found adjacent to Salthouse Hall in 1850.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 073 437|
|Parish:||SALTHOUSE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1850. 'East of Mr Purdy's Pasture, next the house'. In cutting 90cm to 1.5m (3 to 5 feet) deep in soil washed off hill above.
Many Roman sherds, 'some black with soot', oyster shells, charcoal bones. Information from Bolding notebook (copies NCM and NAU).
Same as site NHER 6215?; but location seems different.
The tithe map 1838 marks most of the parish as belonging to Mr. Purdy, but the only pasture so named is at 0730 4375.
As this is immediately adjacent to Salthouse Hall, it is reasonable to assume this is the house referred to above, (where Mr. Purdy lived) and therefore site is on west side of Hall, and not the same as NHER 6215.
E. Rose (NAU), 12 April 1980.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Undated)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...